P&C Art Acquisition Program

The place of the arts within Barrenjoey High School is well known and understood.  The BHS P&C is in a position to support the purchase and maintenance of major works and art works by HSC Students.

The P&C will offer to purchase major works each year from the Senior MADD TAS Night. Each work will be displayed for all to see within the school environment.  It is foreseen that as the collection becomes larger it may engage with the wider community.

The rationale for the purchase and display of the pieces is to recognize and showcase the quality of HSC Major Works produced by BHS students. It is anticipated that this will create a greater awareness of the richness of the school’s art history, both within and without the school community, and provide younger students with a benchmark.

Policy_and_Procedures_on_the_Acquisition_of_Works_of_Art

To date we have purchased the following works.

2013 – Koby Morton – “After Delacroix” Acrylic on Canvas

2013 P&C Art Acquisition

2013 P&C Art Acquisition

This artwork was exhibited in 2014 at Manly Art Gallery as part of the “Express Yourself” Showcase.My work represents a study undertaken into the artworks of Eugene Delacroix.  Through an abstract lens I have simplified forms and line to study and communicate the dynamicism expressed within his works. Influences:  Eugene Delacroix, William Kooning and Frank Auerbach

2014 – Emily Goodyear – “1:Manyemily bow

My artwork explores how a crowd is composed of multiple individuals
and myriad visual details. Yet a crowd is also a living whole, moving and acting with a collective impression of purpose. Some crowds come together deliberately with a sense of shared interest: to protest, to barrack for a team, or as an audience. Other crowds coalesce in response to individuals’ interactions with the urban environment: crossing a busy street or waiting for a train. The visual experience of being in a crowd is a complex mixture of observed detail and blurred movement. Influenced by the Modern Post Impressionist and Fauvist painters, I have attempted to reflect this complexity through colour and application.
Artists of influence: Andre Derain, Van Gogh, Ben Quilty, Nicholas Harding, Zhong Chen and Faithe Te.

2015 – Tyler Kennedy – “Strikhedonia: Identity” – Mixed media (drawing, oil paint, photography)Tyler Kennedy 2015

2016 – kenyon batterson – PHOTOGRAPHY

This photographic book is a selection of images that I took on my travels throughout Bali, Paris, Queensland and my img_9638hometown Sydney. My work aims to represent the cultural attributes distinct to each location. The transitory moments in life, which symbolise the essence of the place and reveal beauty within the everyday. French humanist and street photographer Henri Cartier-Bresson informs my work, considered a master of candid photography, and an early user of 35 mm film. Reminiscent of his work, I seek to capture the decisive moment. Australian Photographers Trent Parke and Max Dupain also influence my choice of monochrome. 

2017 – zara coburn – “inside out” – Textiles

The circulatory system, which includes our heart, consists of arteries, veins and capillaries that branch out throughout our entire bodies like roads on a map. This fascinated me. How could nature invent such complex organic machines?It amazes me to consider how our body functions within us while we do not notice its complexity. Our primary concerns are with the world outside of us and we forget that we are probably one of the universe’s most incredible inventions. The embroidery mimics the amazing intricacy of arteries, veins and capillaries in our circulatory system. The oil paintings encapsulate feminine beauty with anatomical elements.By combining the human anatomy with feminine beauty I encourage the audience to feel a sense of appreciation of the complexity of their incredible anatomy and encourage them to look further within themselves instead of only their external physical appearances. Inspired by artists, Aitch, Mathew Cox and Mark Ryden

2018 – HANNAH DUNWOODIE – “THESE PAGES OF MIND” – SCULPTURE

For as long as I can remember, books have been at the centre of my life. They allow me a rare escape into other worlds and other times when I no longer want to be in my own. Through my artwork I want to bring people’s attention to the power of books and the stories they contain and show how they can take you to places and times unimaginable, without you even leaving your bed. Books that I have grown up with and that have impacted my life in some way, come down to four books; The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, Harry Potter, The Hobbit and The Wind in The Willows, all of which I have read countless times and remain precious to me even to this day. There are also other stories that resonate strongly with me such as Winnie The Pooh, Peter Rabbit and Paddington Bear, the characters of which I later chose to incorporate to blur the line between tales, reflecting how the stories rest in my mind. I completed two pieces, one from a scene in The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe and a scene from Harry potter and The Philosophers Stone, as well as a scene between the two, connecting the stories I hold dear to my own life and reality. I chose the two scenes because each held an aspect of transformation, of journeying from one world to another; through the wardrobe to Narnia and through the wall to Platform 9 ¾, illustrating the transportation I experience whenever I open the cover of a book. The creation process involving various techniques such as origami, model building and detailed drawing, to convey my concept.

Artists of Inspiration Include: Sir John Tenniel, Arthur Rackham, Rohan Eason, Chris Dunn, Edward Ardizonne, Yulia Prodskaya, Brian Dettmer, Jodi Harvey-Brown, Justin Rowe.

2019 – KIANA FLANET – ““Simple Matter” – acrylic paint, charcoal, pastels, impasto, oil sticks, black and white ink with water colours